Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Andy Warhol

Let me tell you the Andy story in brief.

1980 on Mad Ave I was walking with my future ex-wife
on our way to the Whitney for Robert Frank films

Passing the chi-chi shops along the way
I instantly recognized an individual with his back
toward the street in the alcove of, I think, a jewelry shop
to be Andy.
We stopped a short way on and I told Lucy who it was.
I quickly got my minolta ready.
We didn't pay any attention as he continued on
the way we just had come.
So he had no idea he had been spotted by an interested party/stalker.
I quietly caught up to him, readied the camera, and said,
"Pardon me Andy," in my most gentlemanly voice.

He turned around, openly curious,
and I snapped him.
He laughed in surprise and forgave us--
new wave kids in their 20s.
We continued on our separate ways.

I had just read his remark that un-posed photos are best.
I believe he also said, as long as they're in focus.
But...of course my photo of him is somewhat out of focus.
It looks to some who see it to be an image of
obscure 70s independent presidential candidate John Anderson.

(Photo will follow)

No comments:

Post a Comment